Bun Halwa is one of the authentic sweets of Saurashtrians. And it is one of my favorite sweets 🙂
This is usually made out of powdered rusk. But you can very well make it out of bread as well. Today, I didn’t have rusk so I roasted the bread and have done the halwa. It is a very simple yet a yummy flavored halwa. Do give it a try, I am sure you would definitely love it 🙂
- 1 cup crumbled rusk or roasted white bread see the instructions on how to make
- 1 cup sugar see notes
- 2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 4-5 cashew nuts
To make crumbled roasted bread
- In a tawa, roast the plain bread on both the sides.
- Tap the bread so that it evenly gets roasted on both the sides.
- Once the bread is roasted, cool it down.
- Next, chop the bread into small pieces.
- And grind them into fine pieces.
To make halwa
- In a pan, add 2 cups of water and let it boil.
- Add 1 cup sugar to the water and boil it until sugar dissolves completely.
- In another pan, add 1 tsp of ghee and roast the cashews and keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tsp of ghee and add the crumbled bread pieces.
- Roast it in medium flame for 4-5 mins until the color of the bread pieces change.
- Next, add the water-sugar syrup, rest of the ghee and let it boil for 5-6 mins.
- Initially it would look watery, but the bread will absorb water and it would start thickening.
- When it leaves a thick mass, add the cashews and give it a stir. It is done.
- Add cardamom powder along with sugar-syrup if you like its taste. I usually skip it as I am allergic to cardamoms.
- Take equal amount of sugar as your crumbled bread pieces.
- Take double the amount of water as your crumbled bread pieces.
- Take 1/4th of ghee as the amount of your crumbled bread pieces