I love having kootu in my meals since there is no hassle of onions, tomatoes chopping and it tastes so good cooked in the ground coconut paste which is almost the same for every kootu recipes.
And I love this keerai kootu which is easy to make and tastes delicious. Do give it a try, you would love it 🙂
- 4 tsp coconut grated
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup moong dal
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp channa dal
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- In a mixie jar, add 4 tsp of grated coconut, 2 red chillies, 1 tsp cumin seeds and blend it well. Keep it aside.
- Soak 1/3 cup of moong dal for 10 mins.
- Pressure cook the moong dal with 1 cup of water for 2 whistles.
- Once cooked, mash the dal and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp channa dal, 1 tsp urad dal and temper it well until they get roasted.
- Next add 1 cup chopped spinach and cook it for 2-3 mins in medium flame.
- Next, add the ground paste, the cooked moong dal, salt and mix it well.
- Add water to adjust the consistency if needed.
- Boil the mix for 4-5 mins in medium flame. It is done.
- You can add more red chillies if you want your kootu to be spicy.
- You can also use toor dal instead of moong dal.