This is a traditional South-Indian pongal recipe made with millets.
I had been thinking to use millets for a long time and started using it recently. I didn’t find any compromise in taste unlike the other cereals and it tasted really good.
It has long list of health benefits right from being
1) High in fibre, protein
2) Rich in B vitamins – good source of antioxidants
3) Aids in weight loss
4) Helps to decrease high BP
5) Helps to control diabetes
Do try this healthy flavorsome recipe, you would love it 😀
- 1/2 cup millets
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- 3 cashew
- 1 green chilli slit
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- curry leaves
- Soak 1/2 cup Millets, 1/4 cup moong dal for 10 mins.
- Temper 1tsp oil, 1 tsp jeera, 1tsp pepper corns, 3 cashews, hing, 1 slit green chilli and curry leaves.
- Next add ginger slices and let it fry.
- Next add 1/2 cup millets, 1/4cup dal and salt with 2 cups of water. Add 2.5 cups of water if you want pongal to be mushy.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame. It is done.
- I used foxtail millet for this recipe.
- Pairs well with coconut based chutney.