I usually make an easy version of this one-pot moong dal sambar recipe unlike the usual elaborate procedure. And it turns out yum.
It goes well with Dosa / Idly / Chapathis.
Do give it a try, you would love it 🙂
Moong Dal Sambar
- 6 shallots or 1 medium sized chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tomato big sized; chopped
- 2 green chilli slit
- 1/3 cup moong dal
- 2 cups water
- tamarind peanut sized
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp coriander leaves chopped
- In a pressure cooker, add 6 shallots, 3 garlic cloves, 1 chopped big tomato and 2 slit green chillies.
- Next add 1/3 cup moong dal, 2 cups water, peanut size tamarind, 2 tsp sambar powder, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt and allow it to boil in high flame.
- When it starts boiling, close and pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame.
- Naturally release the pressure and mash everything nicely with a laddle.
- Add 1 tsp ghee and 1 tsp chopped coriander leaves. It is done.
- Here I have added dried coriander leaves since I was short of fresh ones; Adding fresh ones enhances the taste to a great level 🙂
- You can increase the chilli powder if you want the sambar to be spicy.