Roadside Kalan had been one of my favorite street side foods while I was residing in Coimbatore. But it was not until recently I realized they use cabbage for this dish and not much of mushrooms 😀 Nevertheless my love for this dish remains the same. I had it after a long time, after years today and it definitely brought back lots of memories along with it. I guess good food is always attached with good memories 🙂
To make a guilt free version of this recipe, I steam cooked the mushroom fry as contrary to deep frying them as the original recipe calls for it.
- 1 cup cabbage chopped finely
- 1 cup mushroom chopped finely
- 2 tbsp besan see notes
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 onion medium sized, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 green chilli slit
- 2 tomatoes medium sized, puree
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder see notes
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp corn flour dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- coriander leaves chopped
- In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup of chopped cabbage
- Next add 1 cup of mushroom and wash them well.
- Next add 2 tbsp besan, 2 tbsp rice flour, 1 tbsp corn flour, 1 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp chilli powder and salt to the mix.
- Mix all the ingredients well and rest it for 5 mins.
- Next, add 1 tsp oil in panniyaram pan. Make small balls out of the mix and steam them for 5-6 mins in medium flame.
- Tap and press them evenly so that it gets cooked inside properly.
- Once cooked, keep them separately. It tastes good and can be eaten at this stage, but resist yourself until you make the masala 😀
- In a pan add 1 tsp oil and 1 chopped onions.
- Next, add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste and mix them well.
- Add 1 slit green chilli and cook for 2-3 mins in medium flame.
- Next, add tomato puree ( of 2 tomatoes ) and mix them well.
- Next, add 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp corainder powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder salt and boil this mix until the raw smell goes off ( around 7-8 mins in medium flame)
- At this stage, dissolve 1 tsp of corn flour in 1/2 cup water and add it inside the tomato mix.
- Make small pieces of the mushroom fry we have made and add it inside the mix.
- Cook it in medium flame for 5-6 mins until the gravy gets coated nicely.
- Squeeze a half lemon gently over and give it a stir.
- Garnish it with chopped onions and coriander leaves. It is done.
- You can deep fry the mushroom-cabbage mix instead of steaming them.
- You can also use all-purpose flour instead of besan and rice flour for binder
- You can increase the chilli powder quantity if you want to spice up your dish.
- Note the difference of tbsp and tsp of the ingredients carefully while preparing 😀