I love tomato rice 😀 Maybe because I love how tangy and spicy it is at the same time.
I make tomato rice in different ways, but this one filled with ginger and tangy tomatoes definitely tops my list. It tastes the tomato rice that we have at restaurants.
Do give it a try, you would love it 🙂
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp channa dal
- 3 inch ginger chopped
- 3 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp hing
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 onion medium sized, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes big sized, chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander leaves chopped
- Soak 1/2 cup of basmati rice for 10 mins.
- Pressure cook 1/2 cup of basmati rice with 1 cup of water in medium for 2 whistles. And keep the rice aside.
- In a pan, add 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tbsp channa dal, 3 inches chopped ginger, 3 chopped green chillis, 1/2 tsp hing and a spring of curry leaves.
- Next, add 1 chopped onion and fry till it becomes translucent.
- Add 2 chopped tomatoes, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt and cook it in medium flame until tomatoes becomes mushy and leaves oil.
- Add the boiled rice and give it a stir. Cook in low flame for 2-3 mins. Garnish with coriander leaves. It is done.
- You can use normal ponni rice as well for the recipe. It tastes equally good.
- Green chilli is the only spice for this dish; You can add more if you want it to be spicy.